Sheltered Housing, also known as ‘Independent Living’, refers to property schemes that have been purpose-built or adapted to accommodate the needs of people in later life.
Although facilities within schemes vary from place to place, most include accessible living with a lift to upper floors, safety features and communal space. Some include a sheltered housing warden onsite or on-call to give residents extra security.
BENEFITS OF SHELTERED HOUSING
The reason that Sheltered Housing is often referred to as ‘Independent Living’ is that the homes are designed to give people the freedom to live safely in their own sheltered flat.
People often choose to remain in their existing homes into retirement but can be placed at greater risk of fall or injury, due to steep staircases or poor accessibility. The benefit of accommodation for the elderly is that the environment is future-proofed to allow for changes in health or circumstance without the need to move.
- Future proofed sheltered accommodation
- Well maintained communal areas and gardens
- Schemes available for those aged 55+*
- Continue to live independently within a community
- Sheltered accommodation Scheme Manager*
- Secure environment
- Located close to main transport links
- Social events and activities
We have a wide range of Independent Living schemes across the country, to find a scheme near you select from one of the options listed below.