You must tell us if you want to end your tenancy.
The easiest way is to complete the tenancy termination form below. Once we get your form, a member of the team will get in touch to talk through the next steps. Or you can call us on 0345 678 0555.
Everyone must give us notice to end their tenancy with us. The amount of notice you need to give will be in your tenancy agreement. It can be different, but it is usually four weeks. You must pay your rent until the end of your notice, even if you leave your home before that date.
We will visit you before you leave. When we visit, we will check all your contact details, talk through your rent payments and answer any questions you might have. We will also inspect your home and talk about any outstanding repairs. We will also check how you will return your keys to us, which is usually done by using a key safe.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Before You Move Out
Please allow your Housing Partner to visit your home.
- Let us know your new address.
- Make sure you have a plan in place for paying your rent during the notice of your tenancy (so you don't leave us owing money).
- Make sure the property is clean and you complete any repairs you are responsible for.
- Remove your own furniture, carpets and curtains.
- Make sure your garden and any other outside area is tidy.
- Remove all your rubbish.
- If you have any large items of rubbish or things you don’t want to take with you, ask your local council to come and collect them.
When you are removing items, try not to damage the property or any of our fixtures and fittings or appliances.
If you have good, clean, reusable furniture and appliances you no longer want, why not contact us? We may know of charities and agencies who collect and recycle clean unwanted items. Someone else may be glad of the things you no longer need.
Please don’t remove the fixtures and fittings attached to the structure of your home, or the appliances we own (such as boilers). If you are not sure whether something belongs to us, or may have belonged to a past resident, please check with us.
Before you move you should tell the following people:
- The council tax office
- The utility companies that provide your gas, electric and water
(Ask them to read your meters and send you a final bill – this will help you if there are any disputes)
- Your phone company so they can disconnect your landline telephone
- Royal Mail so they can redirect your mail. You can also do this at your local Post Office.
On the day you move out
- Take your own meter readings for your gas, electric and water.
- Return your keys to us.
- Tell us your new address.
- Make sure your rent account is clear.
Once your tenancy has ended
Once you return your keys to us, we will inspect the property to check if any repairs are needed before a new resident moves in. You will be charged for any repairs that you are responsible for, whether or not we have discussed them with you, or if we have to remove any belongings you have left behind. If you have paid and registered a deposit with the deposit protection scheme, we will arrange for this to be returned if appropriate.
We will store any belongings you leave behind for up to 28 days after you move out and we will charge you for the storage costs. If you do not collect your belongings in 28 days, we will dispose of them.
If you are taking gas and electrical items with you, you must use a qualified electrician or Gas Safe registered engineer to disconnect them. You must not leave any bare wires or open gas pipes behind, and you should turn off all your services at the mains before you leave.
If you have home contents insurance, you also need to tell your insurer you are moving so they can arrange cover in your new home. You should also tell TV Licensing so they can switch your license to your new home.
To make the move easier, it could help to make a list of everyone you need to tell you’ve moved as things can sometimes get forgotten.
Tenancy Termination Form
We're sorry to hear that you want to leave us. Please complete this form and a member of your local housing team will be in touch to discuss the next steps.