Am I Eligible For A Housing Association Property?

Housing Association Properties, or often referred to as social housing, are a very good option if you don’t want to rent from a private landlord.

Before you go through the procedure of signing up, we wouldn’t want to waste your time. This blog is designed to do that. By reading this blog you will clear up, hopefully, your many questions about the eligibility of renting a home through a housing association, what actually is a housing association and lastly, how do I go about renting?

What Is A Housing Association?

Let’s start from the beginning of a process. Housing Associations offer residents the opportunity to rent affordable homes in areas around the UK. Uniquely within the UK, the housing association is a not-for-profit organisation. They do however make a profit, but our stance on the money available goes to maintaining existing homes and financing new homes.

We pride ourselves in providing affordable homes to rent or buy, man housing associations are also available to eligible residents, including older or disabled people. Housing Associations are funded in a variety of ways; public money, money raised through renting, and private funding.

Housing Association Property: Will I Be Eligible?

Every Housing Association has its own guidelines when considering applicants who apply for their affordable homes. If you don’t match the criteria, you will not be able to rent a home as you’re deemed ineligible.

Here is just a brief list of the criteria you must meet to be considered:

  • Must be 18+ years old
  • Must not be subject to immigration control
  • Must not be a property owner or have the financial resources to purchase or privately rent a suitable property
  • Must not have housing-related debts or be guilty of anti-social or illegal behaviour

In many scenarios, the main criteria for being eligible to rent a home through a Housing Association is having a low income, or financially struggling or having next to nothing in terms of savings.

You will also be eligible if you are homeless or are residing in unsuitable circumstances and cannot afford private rent.

Some housing associations are more lenient with their application requirements. To view the full list of criteria, please get in touch with Accent Housing. In addition, some properties will have added eligibility criteria. For example, independent living schemes are only available to those aged 55+.

How Do I Rent From A Housing Association?

Next up from eligibility is registering with your local Housing Association. Once you have found your local housing authority, you can register online or over the phone. If you’re registering online with Accent, you must sign up for a Let’s Move account.

You will be asked a series of questions. These could be about your:

  • Current living situation
  • Income
  • Family and children/adults dependent on you
  • Job history
  • Past homes i.e., whether you are relocating or if you have lived elsewhere in the past
  • Savings and assets you may have
  • Visas and immigration documents (if you are not a UK citizen).

Being an Accent resident has plenty of benefits. The benefits include a 24/7 on-call repairs service, and access to our award winning customer contact centre, more information about the services we provide can be found on our Accent Partnership page.

Registering is quick and simple; we can help you through the process if needed. Once you have registered, you can start to look for suitable homes either in your local area or relocate around the UK to a destination that suits your individual needs.

Once you have been cleared of eligibility, set up an account you can then start to bid on homes through your Let’s Move account. In addition to this, you can create and set up alerts so you don’t miss a thing.

Get In Touch

Accent Housing is a housing association that has been providing homes and services for a diverse range of people since 1966.

We would love to see if we can provide you with your forever home, why not take a look at the current homes we have available by using the 'Find a Home' search bar, below…

Google translate Google translate
click to choose
Colour contrast Contrast
Font size Text size
svg_logocutout svgsvgsvgsvgsvgsvgsvgsvgsvgsvgsvg