A Tenants Guide To Contents Insurance

In this blog, we answer your frequently asked questions about contents insurance.

What Is Contents Insurance?

Contents insurance is an important type of home insurance that provides cover and pays for damage to or loss of any personal possessions that are located within your home.

Generally, your “contents” are the items you would take with you if you moved home. Without contents insurance, your possessions, whether sentimental or valuable, will not be covered against damage or theft.

As a tenant, you are responsible for obtaining and paying for your own contents insurance, regardless of whether you are renting privately or renting from a housing association/local authority.

How Does It Differ From Building Insurance?

Contents insurance differs from building insurance as it over covers “possessions”, i.e. anything that is not permanently attached to the structure of the house.

Whereas buildings insurance provides cover to pay for damage caused to the actual structure of the property.

If you rent a home from Accent Housing, building insurance is covered as part of your tenancy. It is paid for through the service charge.

What Does Building Insurance Cover?

Building insurance provided by Accent Housing covers the following:

  • Escape of water
  • Accidental Damage
  • Impact Damage
  • Storm and Flood Damage
  • Fire Damage
  • Malicious Damage and Theft
  • Riot, Civil Commotion, Strike, Labour or Political Disturbance
  • Subsidence

Find out more about Accent Housing’s building insurance here. Or get in touch with Accent if you have any questions about your building insurance and what it covers.

What Does Contents Insurance Cover?

Generally, contents insurance covers the following:

  • Furniture including beds, sofas, wardrobes, and dining tables and chairs
  • Kitchenware including cutlery, cookware and freestanding appliances, such as washing machines, microwaves and kettles
  • Entertainment including video games, toys, DVDs and CDs
  • Sporting equipment
  • Soft furnishings including cushions, curtains and bedding
  • Electricals including TVs, laptops, tablets and game consoles
  • Clothes and jewellery
  • Ornaments and antiques

As mentioned previously, contents insurance will not cover the structure of the building, nor will it cover fixtures and fittings (such as a fitted kitchen).

Each policy provider will offer various contents insurance plans. Some will include the cover of “personal possessions” such as mobile phones, whereas others will charge extra. Most policies also have limits on the value of the possessions they will cover.

So, you may need to pay extra if you have possessions that are particularly expensive, such as art or antiques.

Wear and tear of items and possessions will not be covered.

Do I Need Content Insurance?

No matter how careful we are with our belongings, there is always a risk of damage or theft. Unfortunately, replacing a broken or stolen item can be very costly.

With contents insurance, you have peace of mind that you are covered if any of your belongings are stolen or damaged.

For example, if a fire broke out in your home, the building insurance would cover the cost of any damage to the structure of the property. But without contents insurance, you would have to pay to replace any possessions damaged by the fire.

Similarly, if your house was burgled, building insurance would cover the cost of repairs to the property, such as a smashed window. And contents insurance would cover the cost of anything stolen, such as electrical equipment and jewellery.

Is Contents Insurance Included As Part Of My Tenancy?

No. When renting from Accent Housing, contents insurance is not included as part of your tenancy. Whether you are renting from a housing association, local council or private landlord, you are responsible for obtaining and paying for your own contents insurance.

How Do I Get Content Insurance?

Choosing the right content insurance provider and plan can be challenging. If you are an Accent Housing resident, we are here to make things easier for you.

We have partnered up with Thistle Tenant Risks, and Ageas Insurance Limited. These organisations provide the My Home Contents Insurance Scheme.

This specialist Tenants Contents Insurance policy includes cover for items such as furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.

If you are interested in the My Home Contents Insurance Scheme, ask your Accent Customer Partner to send you an application pack. Or get in touch with Thistle Tenant Risks by calling 0345 450 7288.

You can also source your own contents insurance from another provider. If you search the internet for 'price comparison websites' all the different ones will appear in a list. You can use these to get content insurance quotes tailored to you. 

Get In Touch

If you have any questions about contents insurance, building insurance or your Accent Housing tenancy, don’t hesitate to get in touch. You can contact our team by calling us on 0345 678 0555 or sending us an email at customerservices@accentgroup.org.

Google translate Google translate
click to choose
Colour contrast Contrast
Font size Text size
svg_logocutout svgsvgsvgsvgsvgsvgsvgsvgsvgsvgsvg