Staying Safe from House Fires

Deep Fat Frying

One of the biggest risks of house fires comes from the kitchen with deep fat frying with chip pans. All oil when cooking is a fire risk, but some oils have a higher ‘smoking’ temperature than others, which makes them more suitable for cooking rather than fat or butter.

The safest way to cook with oil is to use an electric, thermostat controlled deep fat fryer as they can’t overheat. If you use a normal frying pan, try to limit the amount of oil you use. If your pan does catch fire, turn off the heat under the pan, (if it is safe) and allow it to cool. Don’t try to move it. Leave the room, close the door and get everyone out. Never throw water over a pan fire or use an extinguisher, these can cause the fire to spread.

Microwave Ovens

Microwave ovens can also catch fire. They can still be safe to use afterwards, but they should always be checked by a qualified person. 

A Clean Kitchen

Keeping your kitchen clean and free from oil and fat build up can also help to reduce the risk of fire. Make sure flammable items such as tea towels are kept away from ignition sources such as ovens.  Also, electronic items such as toasters or air fryers are not used next to any flammable items such as curtains or blinds.


When it comes to electric sockets, in your kitchen and in other rooms, don’t overload the and never leave electric items charging, turned on or plugged in out of sight, or overnight. always keep electrics and appliances away from water.


Candles can also be the cause of many fires. They should never be left unattended, only used in proper jars or holders, and only on a surface which can’t burn or melt. Candle flames should never be in drafts, or near curtains or decorations that could catch fire. Battery operated candles are a much safer alternative and can set a scene just as nicely. We are hearing more stories of people using candles for warmth or light, but a torch is definitely safer.

For more information on fire safety, visit

Help to keep yourself safe from the risk of fire in your home.

Google translate Google translate
click to choose
Colour contrast Contrast
Font size Text size