What Is The Difference Between A Council House And A Housing Association?

The difference between a council house and a housing association house is mainly the type of tenancy agreement you will sign.

Housing Associations mainly use Assured Tenancy Agreements, whereas councils will often use a Secure Tenancy Agreement.

This means the rights you have in each property are slightly different.

However, many housing associations rent their properties through their local council in choice-based lettings.

Let's see what all that means for you.

What is a Housing Association?

A Housing Association is a not for profit organisation. They can rent and sell homes,  they are usually always classed as ‘affordable’. They can often offer additional services, such as onsite laundry equipment or a democratic system of governance.

All the profits a Housing Association makes are reinvested back into their homes and services.

What Is A Secure Tenancy Agreement?

A Secure Tenancy agreement allows for a long term, secure tenancy. As long as a tenant is occupying a house, they can effectively stay in it for life.

There are also some statutory rights that come with a Secure Tenancy agreement, such as the right to succession. This means you can pass your tenancy to a spouse or family member if you were to die.

There must be a valid reason to evict you from a secure tenancy agreement. An example might be failing to pay the rent or not sticking to the rules in the contract. 

You also have the Right To Buy your property.

What Is An Assured Tenancy?

Assured Tenancy agreements are designed to mirror the rights in a secure Tenancy.

Under an Assured Tenancy, you can usually stay in your home for the rest of your life. A fixed-term tenancy is typically for five years.

With an Assured Tenancy you often have the right to have your home repaired, swap into another property, and even buy your home.

Find out more about the types of tenancies we offer here.

Who Is Priority For Social Housing?

Each council has its own way of deciding who is a priority for council or housing association accommodation. It is best to check with your local council.

But there are some people who cannot be refused housing and some who are not eligible.

The people who must be allowed on the housing register are:

  • Legally homeless people
  • People living in overcrowded or unsafe housing
  • People who have to move because of a disability, medical, welfare or hardship

However, even if you fall into one of these categories, the council can refuse you accommodation for another reason. For example, they may refuse people with a history of antisocial behaviour or those who can afford to rent privately.

There are lots of other stipulations about who can and cannot get a council house. The Shelter website has some good information here.

Who Can Rent Through A Housing Association?

Anyone can rent a home directly through Accent Housing!

Some of our properties are rented only through the councils, but others are available to anyone. Please check our website here for available properties. New ones are added regularly.

Council House Vs Housing Association-Conclusion

The differences are subtle, but it ultimately comes down to the sort of tenancy agreement you have.

Housing associations rent their properties through the council and sometimes you can go directly to them.

A council tends to offer a Secured Tenancy with a Right To Buy your council house.

A Housing Association offer Assured Tenancy agreements and you will usually have a Right To Acquire your home at a discount.

Why Rent Through Accent Housing?

We are so much more than a landlord.

When you rent your home with us, we provide 24/7 access to repairs service, beautifully maintained homes, and an assigned customer partner. We go the extra mile to make sure you are happy in your home. We have plenty of opportunity for you, the tenant, to shape our services and feedback.

That doesn’t mean we are always popping in. We are there if you need us. It is up to you how much involvement you have with us.

Get In Touch

We would love to see if we can provide you with your forever home, why not take a look at the current homes we have available by using the 'Find a Home' search bar, below…

Google translate Google translate
click to choose
Colour contrast Contrast
Font size Text size
svg_logocutout svgsvgsvgsvgsvgsvgsvgsvgsvgsvgsvg