Our National Scrutiny Group (NSG) is a collective of nine residents from across our regions who closely examine particular aspects of service delivery.
Members were appointed through a rigorous recruitment process, and have each shown how their particular skills, aptitudes and experiences are ideal to scrutinise our services.
What does the National Scrutiny Group do?
The NSG collects and analyses data from a number of sources to inform their recommendations. This may include:
- Interviews with staff, contractors and suppliers.
- Interpretation of data from our housing management system.
- Analysis of secondary source information.
- Surveys and consultations involving the wider customer base.
Progress so far…
The NSG have completed their first investigation to review the way in which we collect and use our repairs satisfaction data. Their investigation revealed that the automated telephone calls we currently use to check whether residents are satisfied with their repairs are not particularly useful in helping us to understand which parts of the service are good and which parts require improvement.
For this reason, the NSG recommended we:
- Make it clearer which repair the survey actually relates to.
- Offer residents the opportunity to rate different aspects of the repairs service separately.
- Offer residents the opportunity to comment on their repair, to explain why they are satisfied or not.
- Make greater use of online channels to elicit feedback from residents.
The NSG presented their findings to our Customer Experience Committee in May. We will keep residents informed about the outcomes.
The NSG have begun their second investigation, which is into fire safety. They are particularly looking at whether we effectively communicate residents’ fire safety responsibilities and if residents are clear about what to do in the event of a fire.
Fire safety has risen to the forefront of the national housing agenda since the terrible tragedy of Grenfell Tower in 2017. The importance of ensuring homes are ‘safe and decent’ was also referenced in the 2018 Social Housing Green Paper and is one of our top strategic priorities.
The NSG have interviewed staff from across the group, and carried out site visits in Middlesbrough, Accrington, Chorley, Leeds, Aldershot and Camberley. The investigation is ongoing, but members have already had some ideas about how communication could be improved.
You can find out more about the members of our National Scrutiny Group here. For more information about resident engagement, please contact Lewis Holloway on 0345 678 0555.