Rent to Buy could be your first step onto the property ladder. Read on to find out how Rent to Buy works and whether you are eligible to apply. If you'd like to receive further information we've included a simple contact form at the bottom of the page for you to complete...
How does Rent to Buy work?
- Rent to Buy is a Government scheme designed to ease the transition from renting to buying a home. Enabled by providing a tenancy agreement at a lower rent.
- With Rent to Buy, you have the opportunity to rent a newly built home with a short-hold tenancy, at a reduced rate. This will be at about 80% of local market rent for up to five years.
- The expectation is that this period of reduced rent will give you the chance to save for a cash deposit on the house.
- During the five-year period, you also have the option to buy part of the property under a Shared Ownership scheme.
- At the end of the five-year period, you will either have to buy part, or all of the property. Failure to save may mean that you have to leave the property at the end of the agreement.
- Typically, a rental period will last anywhere from six months to five years, depending on the property in question and your circumstances.
Are you eligible for Rent to Buy?
You are eligible for Rent to Buy IF
- Your household earns £80,000 a year or less. A ‘household’ can refer to a single person, a couple or cohabiting with a friend.
- You are a first time buyer, or looking to purchase a property following a relationship breakdown. You can’t be a current home owner (or named on the deeds of another property).
- You would be unable to purchase a home suitable for your needs without assistance.
- You have a good credit history without any outstanding credit issues (i.e. unsatisfied defaults or County Court Judgements).
- You are a UK citizen or have the right to remain in the UK.
- You can provide evidence that you’re keen to save towards a deposit with a view to buying your own home.
Please note: You will be required to complete an application for and provide documentation to prove your eligibility.
Is Rent to Buy right for you?
- If you meet the eligibility criteria, then it really depends on the property and your willingness to save for a deposit. It is important to read the small print of any offer to be sure it will be suitable for you.
- On the plus side, the Rent to Buy scheme may give you access to properties that you otherwise wouldn’t be able to afford. Renting is also through a social landlord, which may offer an extra feeling of security.
- You will need to be prepared to pay a rental deposit and one month's rent in advance and be subject to a credit check.
- It is also important to be aware of changing house prices as they may rise during the period that you are renting.
- If you decide to sign-up for Rent to Buy with a view to purchasing the property, check with an independent advisor first to find out how much the property could cost in monthly mortgage repayments. Find out if, in principle, a mortgage lender would be happy to lend against properties within the Rent to Buy schemes.
Don't forget there are additional costs involved in buying and running a home (once owned) which may have been previously included in the rent you paid. Once you have purchased the property you will be liable to pay these costs.
Would you like further information about our Rent to Buy properties?
Please complete the form below. Your email address will only be used to send you information regarding our Rent to Buy products. Your details will not be retained for further use.